Friday, July 6, 2012

Life Changing Experience


Lately, I have been thinking about delivering speech at my sister’s wedding. I had always thought that this event would set the paradigm for upcoming generations. I wanted everyone to remember this august wedding not because this was the wedding of the world’s best sister but because it was my sister’s wedding. Because this time it was about my self-esteem. This was not about her big day, but it was about me. Any awry act would shake my dignity, and obviously I cannot stand that.
I had always taken my selfish acts as generous acts. Somewhere inside I use to pacify my heart by consoling it, and my soft -tender heart used to count on my absurd logics. My sixth-sense would warn me before being selfish, but then my false assurance would overcome it. I didn’t realize it until this summer; which changed my perception about everything.
I went to my distant-relative’s wedding. It was not as amusing as I thought except that the music was something which kept me entertained. The bride and groom were seated on the stage: situated right at the center of the ballroom. Right beside the stage was the rostrum.  The opening of the speech was done by reciting Quran-ic verses. Bride’s sister and brother acknowledged the guests for joining their happiness. Then came the blood relation that was suffering from the amiable condition; one that couldn’t fully enjoy their happiness because their daughter was going to leave them forever. The father came on micro-phone first. His speech was the life-changing experience.
He was in black suit with white shirt and black tie knotted on it. He looked old with his white beard but he was looking the bride’s father, handsome. Anyone could look into his eyes and tell how much he wanted to re-live all those lovely moments they had spent together. But he had to stop himself in fact he stopped himself but he couldn’t help his eyes telling everything he wanted to tell.
This was her daughter’s wedding, a big day for him. If I would had to give a speech on such an auspicious day I would not let the crowd know my weaknesses, but I would point out my strengths. Because this would have been about me, my dignity. But I salute this person who had that much courage to speak the truth in front of all his guests, who might not know what he is in reality. He confronted the public in Urdu, despite of the fact that all of the speakers used English. He used Urdu not because it was his mother tongue but because he didn’t know how to speak English properly. I guess he didn’t want to spoil his daughter’s day by speaking crumbled English. This is not a big deal I know, but accepting the fact that he never worked in United States of America because of his broken English was a big deal. Accepting that he can’t speak English was a big deal.  I cannot accept this in front of this big crowd. I could have never done that. I don’t have that much confidence. I never had and I never will. But still I pray to God to give me enough confidence to accept my weaknesses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment